The whopping use of plastics is not at all a hidden aspect. The product is present each and everywhere, from the minutest element to the most giant products.
They are cheap, durable and extremely versatile in nature. Due to this, they could turn out to be a suitable replacement for most of the other elements, including metals and glass etc.
And with its use, you would also be well acquainted with the kind of ill-effects it poses to the environment.
So should it be correct to classify the plastics as biohazardous waste and get services of biohazard waste disposal companies to handle them?
Let us view this in detail:
Why Could Plastics Be Hazardous?
Though these are used anddisposed as regular wastes, plastics are a big threat to the environment, leading to a lot of troubles.
Some of the features to prove the riskiness of plastics are as follows:
- Plastics are almost completely non-biodegradable and it could take more than 500 years to fully decompose only a few types of plastics. When dumped into the ground, they reduce the fertility of the soil and pollute it profoundly.
- Plastics are also a threat to the waterways. They clog the sewers and this requires constant maintenance. Besides, they make their way to the rivers and oceans and harm the marine life too.
- Burning the plastics after their use is never a good alternative as it emits lots of polluting gases and smoke. Not only it harms the environment but is also a great threat to the human health.
- The workers which manufacture the plastic products are at constant risk of lots of life-threatening diseases such as respiratory tract troubles and cancers etc. Besides, the plastic production also produces a lot of unhealthy smoke which further harms the environment.
- When humans use these plastic products to keep their eatables etc., the chemicals get into their food and harm their body considerably.
Thus, it’s not an exaggeration to categorize plastics as hazardous waste and change the way they are being disposed of.
How Would Categorization Help?
When plastics are categorized as hazardous wastes, it would offer the following benefits:
- The process would change the way in which they are manufactured, used, and disposed. For instance, just as you consult medical waste disposal agencies in Leesburg to get your hazardous medical waste disposed, the plastics would need the same care.
- There will be much lesser landfills
- The rivers, oceans and other waterbodies would not be assaulted with plastics wastes which harm their living creatures
- The industries will look to produce some safer alternatives which would be eco-friendlier too.
Thus, it’s high time now that the plastics should be classified as hazardous wastes, not being dumped similar to your regular waste, but with proper precautions and in assistance of experts.