Seeing their child suffer is probably the toughest thing in life for the parents. Especially, if the child has just taken birth and is not too fit to lead to a normal life.
A premature baby is the one that is born before 37 weeks of pregnancy and all such babies are extremely delicate, probably needing expert care in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
Here are some of the things that you need to know about premature babies:
Features of Premature Babies:
When babies are born premature, they weigh lesser than normal ones. For instance, while an average normal baby weighs approx. 3 Kgs during birth, the premature ones would only weight around 2.25 Kgs and sometimes only around 2 Kgs. However, with the best neonatal unit care delivered, all such babies have a full chance of turning to normal.
How Premature Babies Appear:
In case your baby is born premature, here is what to expect:
- Premature babies are smaller as compared to the mature ones. You can expect the head to be larger in proportion to the size of the body.
- The baby has negligible body fat and thus the skin seems to be thin and transparent. You can even view the blood vessels.
- The baby would have sharper features and would not be chubby like the normal ones.
- The baby would feel cold even in the normal environment and hence needs to be transferred to a special warm apparatus soon to balance the body temperature.
How Premature Babies Behave:
- Premature babies may cry but in a very soft tone since their lungs may not have developed properly.
- The doctors may need a piece of special equipment known as a cardio-respiratory monitor to keep track of the respiration and heartbeat of the baby. Respiratory troubles could lead to other serious issues.
- The baby may also need breathing assistance through a technique known as CPAP (continued positive airway pressure) temporarily.
Your Role As A Parent:
As already mentioned, it’s tough to see your child in a medical emergency. However, as a parent, you need to cope up with the stress and perform what has been advised by the doctor.
Besides, make sure you touch and feel your child which could help them heal faster. Also, breastfeed your child when the doctors suggest you for the process.
Most importantly, you need to take help from the best healthcare centers concerned with the treatment. For instance, if you are looking for the best multispecialty hospital in Lucknow with quality neonatal care, you can get assistance from the experts at ‘Ajanta Hospital & IVF Centre’.
Consult the most experienced neonatal care specialists to ensure the best attention to your premature babies.